Tuesday, September 6, 2011

No Less Miraculous

Already breaking my promise to keep my social media updates unique from each other. This was interesting, though, and I've wanted to talk about this for quite some time. Be warned this is a RELIGION thing and it's bound to offend someone. You are free to leave this post at any time but please stay.

What got this started was a video about quantum physics and how the person who posted the video didn't get it, basically said scientists are full of crap, etc etc (I can't find this video because the person that started the convo didn't link it, so I am basing this on her testimony). Jennifer Bailey responded on Google+ and of course I jumped in because I love me some science (why I didn't go into the field as a career I have no idea). Since I don't know how to directly link a specific post I'll re-post it here for you all:

Was reading through my Sparks and some guy made a video about how butthurt he was over quantum theory. I don't even want to show the video because it's just completely painful. He says things like: "Scientists don't really know what they are talking about, they just guess all the time. There are no facts about anything, ever."

Well, the poor guy is sort of right. I think he's trying to understand what a theory is. But he clearly is biased and neglects the entire spectrum of how the entire point of science is testing a theory so the percentage of error is negligible. Observing something so many times that it becomes what we'd reasonably expect to see.

He didn't like the idea that the whole entire universe is just energy. I can understand how it might be hard for a mind to grasp that. It is hard to comprehend if you're just suddenly confronted with that idea without the physics background to back it up. It may indeed be difficult to come to grips with the fact that at the sub atomic level, particles aren't even ... anything. They're stable probability patterns.

We're all just... math. :)

I find this exceptionally incredibly cool and vastly freeing and wonderful.

But I guess I can understand someone, without having any background to be prepared to hear this sort of thing, will just outright reject it and start coming up with theories of their own to deny the truth.


My response:

+Jennifer Bailey: "I find this exceptionally incredibly cool and vastly freeing and wonderful."

I do too! I love that I don't know everything about the universe (multiverse?) and I think it's more fun to explore the possibilities than have the answers handed to me. Life and existence are magic enough on their own. Maybe this is why I'm not into religion? (I'm not trying to knock anyone's religious beliefs.. I just don't get the appeal. Not my thing.)


And then here comes Tim Elkins to put words to my feelings like he's all up in my head:

+Sarah Rios, I've always thought that compared to other creation stories, it's just as miraculous that billions of years of random interactions resulted in every one of us and every thing we see. It's still awe-inspiring. Having no overarching purpose or divine guidance does not automatically mean that the universe is worthless and meaningless.


It took him about two seconds to voice what I had been trying to figure out how to say for years. (I mean it... years.) I guess I am not like billions of other people in this world that feel there needs to be a divine purpose behind everything. In fact I feel like a divine purpose kind of spoils it all. I very much don't like the idea of having an unavoidable fate, and I find it kind of silly that a diety or dieties has a giant cosmic plan for every living thing down to the smallest bug on this earth / in the universe (it also strikes me as slightly narcissistic if we think that humans are the only "worthy" lifeforms deserving of divine attention). If in fact a higher being does exist, I like to thing such a thing would have more fun in creating life and turning it loose to see how things unfold. Higher beings wouldn't be micromanagers, would they? What fun would that be? The insecurities in a person necessary to trigger the need for micromanaging probably wouldn't be present in a higher being. Or maybe that's just me?

I honestly do not believe in a higher being. It has taken me years to admit that to myself, and I still haven't broken this news to my husband. He thinks I'm agnostic. Who said agnostics were basically atheists without balls? Description is accurate with this blogger. I shamelessly hit behind an agnostic label rather than admit to being an atheist. It's probably time I own that label.

Personally, I think there is enough miracle in the universe without needing an imaginary figure in the background to orchestrate it all. The idea that we were all created out of pure RANDOM is mind-blowing and much more exciting than a bored diety (or lustful/vengeful/etc dieties...to each their own). That said, I do think faith in something is necessary for the mental and emotional health of one's self. If religion fills that void then more power to you, it's just not something I subscribe to.

That was my heavy post for today. You all can breath easy until I make a post on another hot-button issue.

Have some Batmanning:





~Sass~

No comments: