Thursday, July 24, 2008

Writer's A.D.D.

Yup, it's that time again. Sass is bored and looking for an outlet. Problem is, I have too many outlets right now and my brain has gone on stimulation overload. Lemme 'splain.

I'm ass deep in revisions on my first novel. I'm beginning to see the usefulness of going into a story prepared, even if I don't enjoy making or using outlines. Don't get me wrong, writing by the seat of my pants is really fun, but going through the revisions of such a project can be compared to wading through miles upon miles of thick muck. You know it ends eventually but the journey through it is difficult and exhausting. Then again, it's fun to play around in the muck, so even as I complain about it I secretly enjoy it.

Then I saw a thread on AW a few days ago about NaNoWriMo and how excited everyone is at the thought of another month long word-spooge fest. To which I thought, yes! Yes, I am excited! And then I thought about last year's NaNo project, which was pretty damned cool if I do say so myself, and why don't I try to revise that one too? It's shorter. It's more fun. The protagonist doesn't annoy the shit out of me. Win! Then I think no, no Sassee, you need to finish the second draft of your other novel first.

But it's okay to think about this year's NaNo project, right? There's no harm in planning ahead and daydreaming while I'm revising my other novel. So here I go daydreaming, and why don't I just write a few things down so I don't forget...

Then there's my venture into book 2 of the annoying protagonist, of which I have 15k words (and an awesome new werewuff), and another project wherein I'm trying to find the next object of obsession. Looks like Lily is it. She's been hanging around in my head for a while, arms crossed, hip jutting out defiantly, waiting for me to pick a storyline for her so she can jump to paper and start kicking some ass. I've been perusing Jim Butcher's LiveJournal for some off-the-wall tips on outlines and have started messing around with Lily's outline (because, by God, I want to see what it's like to be organized!).

On top of all of that I feel the need to pick up the pace with this blog. I mean, it takes what, 30 minutes to come up with something to post? Quick. Easy. Keeps me writing everyday. Closely related to this blog but an entire project on its own is my LiveJournal account where I'm trying to post world- and character- building things about book 1 in an effort to keep myself organized and simultaneously help myself with my own revisions. It's an official place for me to keep my notes posted, and I'm really looking forward to posting other werewolf things on there once I make the time for it.

... and then there's books I want to read, a house that needs cleaning, a yard that is slowly frying in the summer sun because we keep forgetting to water it...

Oy. Now that I put that in writing, it's kind of obvious why I tend to burn out a lot at the office. Take all that personal stuff and add it to the general mental exhaustion I get from a tedious job that never ends, and voila! Burnout.

Maybe I'll take the weekend off. Heh.

Quote of the day:

(Ghostbusters)
Ray: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Venkman: Yes it's true. This man has no dick.


~Sass~

No comments: