Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dialogue Contest

I caught wind of a dialogue contest from Nathan Bradsford (blog here) and nearly jumped out of my seat. Dialogue is my strong point, or so I feel (humor me, damnit!), so I had to run over there and post something ASAP.

Took it from the draft of my third book, second in a series. Here's the snippet in case you didn't want to search for comment #461 ;)

They're sleeping in a truck:


The rest of my night was filled with memories of blood and death, of teeth and claws. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

Though I must have been more out of it than I realized, because I woke up with a ball of fur curled at my feet, one that growled when I lifted my head.

Broken Nose. Of course. I pulled the blanket over my head and turned on my side.

He made gross popping and tearing noises as he shifted forms. Clawed hands placed themselves on either side of me and he made his best attempt at smothering me over the blanket.

"Get. Off."

"The locals took a lot of interest in you last night."

"Don't care."

"They were going to mug you."

"Still not caring."

"One of them was a werewolf."

I peeked out from under the blanket. He used the opportunity to shove his muzzle in my face, that wet nose smearing across my forehead.

"So what did you do, protect me all night?"

"Not all night."

"How chivalrous of you."

"Chivalry had nothing to do with it."

“Can you pretend to be chivalrous for a few more hours so I can get some sleep?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

He nodded in a general it’s-behind-you motion. “I don’t think they’d like that very much.”


Ponder of the day:

After all is said and done, more is said than done.


~Sass~

No comments: