Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Refishuns, I does dems

Friday night I pumped out not one but TWO entire chapter revisions. Now, granted, I simply copied most of the original chapter 3 and made a few tweaks to it, no major changes, but at least I got it done, eh?

So here's the plan. I want to see if I can do the same thing this week - get at least two more chapters revised. Maybe today, while I'm still motivated about it.

Now that I've voiced that goal, let's see what I have in store for myself.

For those of you following along with the story (like, what, all three of you?) I've made some basic run-of-the-mill revisions. Cut out the crap, insert something better. Take the waffles and make them pancakes. (mmmmm... pancakes.) I've drastically cut down the amount of running Kate does between locations, and generally made things easier to understand. Some of you know what I'm talking about. The whole Stan conversation that was confusing as all hell? It was supposed to be confusing for Kate, but not for the readers. It was confusing to readers, so I took the axe to it and rebuilt the conversation to something resembling normalcy. She also doesn't run from the dorm to the cafeteria to Micah's and back to the dorm. We simply start in the cafeteria, intercept the necessary character on the way out, and then go back to the dorm. And I managed to keep most of the conversation intact. Woo hoo!

Chapter 3 had little change. I smoothed some dialogue, axed a few unnecessary sentences, and generally flitted through that part of the writing sprinkling bits of revision dust like the twisted writer faerie I am.

So...

We meet again, chapter 4. I see you over there. I might add a conversation in this one, because Kate manages to get out of the dorm with very little interference, which directly contradicts chapters 2 and 3 (where she was told to stay inside for her own safety). It'll be a great place to make up for lost wordcount. I've cut out about 2k words in the first 3 chapters (down to 12.8k from 14.5k). The bad thing is I'm starting to wonder if the events in chapter 4 are really necessary. I mean they are, some clues pop up for later, but... I don't know. I'll go back and re-read it. I really hope I don't have to cut and rewrite a lot of this.

I realize most of you have no idea what I'm talking about. That's okay. I'll come back and 'splain it in another blog post. Maybe tomorrow?

Ponder of the day:

"Why is it you get a penny for your thoughts but have to put in your two cents worth?"


~Sass~

No comments: